Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to bcfcforum.co.uk. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Celtic & Scottish Football Generally
Topic Started: Nov 23 2017, 05:50 PM (317 Views)
westsussexbluenose
Olivier Tebily
[ *  *  * ]
I was having a discussion with a mate in the pub the other day about the standard of Scottish football and the way Celtic have been destroyed this season in Europe just reinforces my belief that the standard of football in Scotland is really quite poor. Celtic are running away with the Scottish Prem and there are those in some quarters that think that there is a place in the Premier League for Celtic and at one time Rangers as well. The gulf between Scottish football and that of south of the border is massive. I struggle to work out what the attraction of Scottish football is. When they show the highlights on Sky the standard is really not that good.
Generally all of the leagues in the English professional divisions are competitive currently, and you could go and watch most teams and see a relatively good standard for each league.

The great majority of the Scottish teams would struggle in our top non-leagues I reckon.

Anyway, we had a few more beers and the topic switched to the Blues so I thought it was best I went home to Mrs WSB
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Blacksmith
Member Avatar
Jeff Hall
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Scots have produced some very good footballers, including an all-time favourite of mine, Denis Law.

However, the standard of the leagues there is very poor apart from the very top teams, but they have no competition. I don't think it can be very difficult to manage Celtic or Rangers of old, because the clubs they go up against aren't that much good.

We've found to our cost that players who are stand out stars in Scotland often struggle to fit into the English game, that's why I'd prefer to go down the non league route to get players for Blues rather than the Scottish League.

abblue
Frank Worthington
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Following on from Blackie's last paragraph, our own experience speaks volumes.

When we signed Andrew Shinnie, he was one of the top 4 players in Scotland. He hardly ever made our first team, struggling in the Championship. He is now just about holding his own with Luton in our 4th tier.

What more needs to be said ?

westsussexbluenose
Olivier Tebily
[ *  *  * ]
Blacksmith
Nov 23 2017, 10:59 PM

However, the standard of the leagues there is very poor apart from the very top teams, but they have no competition. I don't think it can be very difficult to manage Celtic or Rangers of old, because the clubs they go up against aren't that much good.

I've always wondered why Brendan Rogers took the Celtic job, I know he will add some silverware on his CV but it cant be a challenge for him - money is an obvious factor I suppose but nevertheless he always came across as a footballing man who wasnt a mercenary, but who knows.

Different for managers who come to the Blues who will add "silverwhere?" to their CV :dancer:

lowdham bluenose
Joe Bradford
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Football in Scotland went down the pan many years ago which is why they do not produce players of even a moderate standard.

It is something they need to sort out themselves and I suggest they start by looking at the 60s and 70s when they produce so many class footballers and compare what is happening now.

Personally, I don't care a toss about Scottish football and as for Celtic and Rangers joining the English league then no thanks...I don't want to see their sectarian nonsense down here.

Venoms_Gold
Garry Pendrey
[ *  *  *  * ]
lowdham bluenose
Nov 29 2017, 09:25 AM
Football in Scotland went down the pan many years ago which is why they do not produce players of even a moderate standard.

It is something they need to sort out themselves and I suggest they start by looking at the 60s and 70s when they produce so many class footballers and compare what is happening now.

Personally, I don't care a toss about Scottish football and as for Celtic and Rangers joining the English league then no thanks...I don't want to see their sectarian nonsense down here.
I agree. Let them stay where they are. I mean the league is so bad that I think even our current squad would be top 4 in that rubbish league.

ChicagoBlues
Ian Bennett
[ *  *  *  * ]
How would they fare in the MLS :fishing:

Worcester Blue
Geoff Horsfield
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
All the hype around Celtic's unbeaten 69-game run did make me laugh given the teams they come up against

Mid-table championship side at best

BLUE KID
Member Avatar
Geoff Horsfield
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
If Celtic came down to play in England i'm pretty sure in time they would be up in the upper echelon's of the premier league after having the benefits of the tv money etc that our clubs receive. The standard of Scottish football is rubbish but Celtic are a massive club!

canadian brummie
Malcom Page
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
ChicagoBlues
Jan 27 2018, 04:31 AM
How would they fare in the MLS :fishing:
Probably be beaten by Toronto FC. **thumbup

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Non-Blues Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Forum Design by Hirsty.