Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to bcfcforum.co.uk. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
England v Croatia ** Semi Final**; Our First SF In 28 Years
Topic Started: Jul 9 2018, 07:12 AM (281 Views)
PartisanBCFC
Member Avatar
Jack Wiseman
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

Two wins away (PK shoot outs at the very end of extra time count as well as long as we win them) from lifting English international football out of the gloomy era of the very early 21st Century and reigniting the game in England for a vey long time to come, won't do our ranking no harm either

Would be great for the current younger generation too (Millennials I suppose we call them these days) to witness a victorious England football side

I'm sure Gareth will start with the side that beat Colombia and Sweden but interesting to see if he sticks with Dele Alli who many believe is not fully fit

Counting on Raheem Sterling this time to continue to use his pace to good effect and who knows, we might finally see a goal, he's long overdue ....Kane was a little subdued v The Swedes but he could be our match winner again v Croatia, he'll definitely be wanting that Golden Boot which was won by Gary Lineker back in '86.....hope Cry Baby Maradona is back home already **thumbup

Croatia are no mugs though, they have a soft underbelly but in Modric they have one of the great players of this tourno, even at 32 he has boundless energy and a strong will to lift his team mates , we will have to watch him with intensity, he will pose the biggest threat

They seem to me to be a supremely fit side as well

Might get a bit physical this one

Come on England.....France and Belgium play the first semi Tuesday night so we will also know who our opponent will be if we can get through this next hurdle

:Eng06: :Eng06:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lowdham bluenose
Joe Bradford
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It's great that we are in such a meaningful game. My nerves are already starting to tingle. I think this is the biggest nerve-tingling game for me since the Blues-Norwich play off final in 2002.

beardedwolf
Trevor Hockey
[ * ]
I've booked a few days off work so I can travel down for the game(s)...

backofthenet
Kenny Burns
[ *  *  *  * ]
beardedwolf
Jul 9 2018, 10:39 AM
I've booked a few days off work so I can travel down for the game(s)...
How have you managed to get tickets? have you got a final ticket as well?

beardedwolf
Trevor Hockey
[ * ]
No I live in Scotland! I meant travelling back down to Birmingham so I can watch the game(s) with English pals rather than bitter Scots!

backofthenet
Kenny Burns
[ *  *  *  * ]
don't want to tempt fate as I think it will be a minor miracle if we make the final but.....

in the absence of any decent fan parks in Birmingham what are the chances of Blues opening St Andy's for the game with big screen and bars open

if we do some how make the final I reckon you would get a few thousand there

elvis ok
Member Avatar
Malcom Page
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Croatia.... whether a good side or not... whether fit or not... ;)

Have clawed their way through TWO "Extra-Times" and Penalty Shoot-Outs to get to this SF.

Their mid-field is World Class ~ imo.

I reckon England's stolid rock, may be a match too far for them, but that's only Hope.

And Hope Kills :o

I've great respect for Croatia, a country with a smaller pool of footballers / population than Scotland.

Go figure like.... :LMAO:

No respect for some of their followers though !
The Neo-Nazi mobs that wrecked Vienna - after being stopped from entering Russia, celebrated by smashing/looting shops in Austria after their Russia match.
Some vids on You Tube if you wanna search.

If any match was ever a 'political-flashpoint' given the alleged leanings of the Russian 'hooligans' this would NOW be it.

Yet Russia has impressed me, no reports of trouble, and there are enough outside observers to have filed copy..... I feared the worst, originally, and now I'm convinced that this is the

BEST WORLD CUP EVER.

Regardless of Stats or our emotional younger souls.

Just on the Play, the Soap-Operas like.......Neymar FGS.... :LMAO:

BEST WORLD CUP EVER

**thumbup

canadian brummie
Malcom Page
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Come on England.

:Eng04: :Eng05:

lowdham bluenose
Joe Bradford
...getting excited and slightly nervous. COME ON ENGLAND :Eng04:

Saint Andrew
Peter Enckelman
[ *  *  * ]
I've slagged Henderson and Walker off previously, I thought they played very well against Sweden but tonight they reverted to my original thoughts, Walker inevitably making a dreadful mistake which fortunately didn't lead to a goal and Henderson either forever passing the ball back or overhitting passes. I'm not convinced we'll get this far again but i do think Southgate has handled himself well. I just hope the nutters don't start smashing things up because we've lost. We're still too defensive for my liking with little creativity in midfield.
Edited by Saint Andrew, Jul 11 2018, 08:52 PM.

canadian brummie
Malcom Page
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Unfortunate but really didn't deserve to win.
Well done though. Great effort.
:Eng09:

abblue
Frank Worthington
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Let's be realistic here.

Four weeks ago, nearly every England supporter would have taken a 2-1 defeat after extra time to Croatia, in a semi-final

We were beaten tonight by a better team.

In all honesty I'm surprised we got as far as we did. We are very one dimensional and it wasn't to difficult to suss us out and beat us.

I'm as sad as anyone we are out, but we did as well, or even better, than most thought.

BTW - was Kane even on the pitch ?
Edited by abblue, Jul 11 2018, 09:15 PM.

PartisanBCFC
Member Avatar
Jack Wiseman
Gutted but congratulations to Croatia….over the entire 120 minutes plus they deserved it and I think I am going to root for them in the Final

England got off to a great start but it's usually the case, the game is far from over when you score so early

We were actually in control up until halt time

Then we decided to sit back and let them back into the game

I have banged the drum for Marcus Rashford but he was very disappointing when he came on, ironically Sterling had one of his best games for us in the 1st half .....More importantly though Alli and Kane had no impact on this game at all....I think we heaped too much expectation on the pair of them from day one.....looking back now I honestly think Dier or Loftus Cheek should have started over Alli ….he clearly wasn't 100 per cent …...Mr Waistcoat Man will learn from this

But kudos to Maguire, Pickford and Trippier who were our stand outs during Russia 2018 :applause:

It may be a very long time before England gets an opportunity like this again , that's what hurts the most I think .....because you can believe countries like Argentina, Spain, Germany, Belgium and Brazil are going to regroup after their own shortcomings in this tourno and come back as much stronger nations in 2022.....Italy and Holland (who were not at Russia) will go back to the drawing board too

Ah well !! The Blues kick off again soon .....so much for a summer break.....Oh ! hang on !! we've got that non event 3rd place game on
Saturday ....a fixture for the also rans and only pride at stake

"They think it's all over ".....well actually it isn't quite yet

:Eng05: :Eng05:
Edited by PartisanBCFC, Jul 11 2018, 09:15 PM.

Hirsty
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
2018. Modric 2:0 Henderson.

Hmm. Modric in a Different class, imo. and Croatia fully deserved the win after bossing the 2nd half and extra time.

Croatia to win the final - unless France can score first and do what they did against Belgium..

Belgium V England - will it be a "reserves" game again ??

KRO,

H.

PartisanBCFC
Member Avatar
Jack Wiseman
Hirsty
Jul 11 2018, 10:56 PM
Belgium V England - will it be a "reserves" game again ??

KRO,

Yes, it has to be surely

I think he'll keep Kane, Stones and Maguire in there ….Kane still wants to win the Golden Boot so give him an opportunity to seal it , Lukaku is only 2 goals behind and a couple of the France players could still catch him although they would likely need hat tricks

Trippier is likely injured, that knock looked very serious

So give all the bench players , including Butland, a chance to show their worth and another chance for Loftus Cheek and Alexander Arnold to show what they can do

:Eng04:

Edited by PartisanBCFC, Jul 12 2018, 05:49 AM.

lowdham bluenose
Joe Bradford
Like in many games when a team is so dominant they should make it pay, sadly England only went in at HT at 1-0, it should have been more. All it did was to let Croatia off the hook and as a better team they took advantage of it and turned it around in the next 75 minutes.

I thinK Kane is either carrying an injury or is knackered. He has been anonymous in the last two games. I would have thought a straight swap for Rashford at half time should have been done. A three of Sterling, Rashford and Lingard would have occupied Croatia throughout the second half. Perhaps Loftus Cheek for Alli at some point in the second half.

Southgate afterwards rightly said they're learning, I just hope Gareth is learning as well.

I won't be watching the 3rd/4th play off as it will be a meaningless reserves game but I am really lloking forward to seeing Gareth and the lads in the Autumn.

Edited by lowdham bluenose, Jul 12 2018, 07:25 AM.

Hanz
Bob Hatton
[ *  *  *  * ]
Cheers England, you guys had a great tournament. I predicted that you'd go far and that Kane would do well and looks like I was right. Didn't make any bets though, but maybe should have. :) In my humble opinion it was a great game, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. And that's good, we want to see great football and I don't prefer penalty shootouts to decide games. Trippier's goal was great, maybe the goal of the tournament and Kane will most likely be no. 1 goal scorer of the tournament.

So not all bad, not bad at all. :)

It would be nice to hear what the feelings are in England/UK right now, what the reactions were to the game? How many of you watched the game in pubs, from big screens on the street or parks? Were people happy when England scored and angry in the end?

PartisanBCFC
Member Avatar
Jack Wiseman
Hanz
Jul 12 2018, 01:22 PM
It would be nice to hear what the feelings are in England/UK right now, what the reactions were to the game? How many of you watched the game in pubs, from big screens on the street or parks? Were people happy when England scored and angry in the end?
I knew sections of the media would start to turn on England and Southgate and already they have especially that gutter rag The Sun

It's simply the English way , they stir up emotion and debate between the fans, that's what they do best

Very proud of what we achieved and how far we went but at the same time , I am still a tad disappointed that Gareth didn't tweak the starting line up in a couple of the knock out games and that we led a game at half time 1-0 and seemed in complete control

There's obviously the argument that you shouldn't change a winning side (don't forget we needed pens to overcome Colombia , the match was 1-1 at end of normal time) and that he also should have taken creative players like Llanana, Wileshire and Shelvey

I know Wileshire had a recent bad injury record (but he was injury free for most of last season) and Shelvey is one of those players that can fracture the dressing room but they can both pass sublimely …..Llalana'a omission from the 23 was a shock to many too ….I think a little bit of creativity against Croatia was all we lacked, we only managed one shot on target v Croatia and that was Trippier's free kick goal

World Cups are great like that though....they will always raise some controversy and debate , Geoff Hurst's extra time goal for England in '66 , the early penalty awards by an English ref in the '74 Final and Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal in 1986 are still furiously debated and talked about decades on

Out of 32 countries there can only be one winner …..The Germans have kept faith in Joachim Low as well, he was a God in 2014 but of course the Germans contrived to show up poorly in Russia and he has had to take a lot of flak from the German media and public for those performances .....Good to see no knee jerk reaction was taken which is common in this game....but quite a few of the other leading nations (Spain and Mexico to name two) have already got rid of their coaches, not sure if The Argies have fired their coach yet , after all this tourno is the biggest prize in football

I am looking forward to the Euros 2020 though....and they are being played all over Europe this time as well in a different multi city format

:Eng03: :Eng01:
Edited by PartisanBCFC, Jul 12 2018, 07:13 PM.

lowdham bluenose
Joe Bradford
Hanz
Jul 12 2018, 01:22 PM

The fellings over here are of pride in the young Lions and in Gareth Southgate. We know that this squad can develop, especially as we are current u-17 and U-21 World and European champions. So we have more youngsters to step up. The whole country was/is behind England. The media are stating that the most important thing is that England football team has connected with the country again. Over 30 million tv viewers for the game on Wednesday.

I, like many, can't wait for the autumn internationals.

If Jack Grealish goes to Spurs then Pochittino could turn him into another great palyer, in fact the missing flair player in midfield. We don't need the likes of Wilshire and Shelvey because they would be disruptive to the squad and I think Gareth knows that.
Edited by lowdham bluenose, Jul 13 2018, 11:13 AM.

PartisanBCFC
Member Avatar
Jack Wiseman
Two excellent articles from the BBC and Guardian , liked the latter in particular

well worth the read **thumbup

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44808192

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/12/england-gareth-southgate-world-cup-russia-2018

abblue
Frank Worthington
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
PartisanBCFC
Jul 13 2018, 06:10 PM
Two excellent articles from the BBC and Guardian , liked the latter in particular

well worth the read **thumbup

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44808192

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/12/england-gareth-southgate-world-cup-russia-2018

For me, the BBC article says it all - it puts real data on what I said in post #12 of this thread.

I think we need a sense of realism here.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · All Football Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Forum Design by Hirsty.